Monday, February 11, 2008

Violence and Re-programming

If I did not see it for myself, I wouldn't have believed my daughter could be capable of it. Not once but twice, Renee reached for Tyler's nose bridge using her thumb and first finger to scratch him. Imagine that, only higher, such that the two fingers fit exactly at the inner edges of Tyler's eyes. Of course, Tyler screamed out in pain. Now, if it had been a stranger's kid, we could just move on and forget about it. But this is my good friend's kid, what if something really terrible happened? How am I going to face my friends? What has happened in the last two years that could have resulted in such violence in such a sweet little girl? Are they really innocent about not knowing the pain and injury it could cause?

The first time it happened tonight, I just let it pass, thinking it was a one off. Then it happened a second time, and I just had to do something. I went all out to reprimand her, I have not shouted so loudly for ages or felt such rage or embarrassment towards my own flesh and blood. Seeing her cry in such a hapless way, I started to cry myself. Yes, I am a softy but it had to be done. Now I only wonder if the message has been transmitted.

In the car on the way back, we discussed how we should handle this going forward. Should we be introducing the cane, hitting her hand with the newspaper or our own hands? Oh boy, these are questions you have only heard about in your younger days, not something you actually have to scratch your head over. I guess this is a part of our growing up, of making the right decisions that could affect our children's future and manners in time to come. This so-called re-programming is starting with immediate effect, otherwise I can imagine the mayhem in the Seow family when Russell comes into the picture.

No comments: