Yes, I have finally turned 33 and it's Eugene's turn is this Friday. Met a secondary school friend yesterday. He doesn't have children and he said he'll have no freedom when there are kids around. Also, yesterday my cousin said he isn't fond of kids.
Makes me think, have we lost our freedom after becoming parents? Truth is, I never want to leave the kids for more than the time that I am at work. Gone are the days when I would shop shop shop for hours on end, watch midnight shows (well, Eugene still does that but I avoid it because I will be a zombie the day after; zombie and taking care of the kids don't go hand in hand) and hang out at coffee joints every weekend. Do I feel envious of people who have so much freedom? Of course! I envy that they can just take off at moment's notice, go for holidays, etc. But it's also great to have children at our "young" age, can't imagine being older and having to chase 2 or 3 rascals around. That would kill my already killed back.
Every shopping trip we make, we end up buying something kid-related. Be it milk powder, diapers or my weakness, toys or little clothes. On top of all that, there are the visits to their pediatrician, enrichment classes and the all important insurance. That's where all my money has gone to. I am incredibly envious of people who save a big heap of their income (instead of buying kid stuff) to buy a new bag and new clothes every month. But I am confident that my kids will repay me big time when I am old. Fingers crossed lah.
This old fart has mellowed down. Happy birthday to Mummy and Daddy!
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
1 comment:
Happy Belated Bday!
Post a Comment