Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Tired with a Capital T!

Russell's been falling sick almost every month. Coughing so regularly. We brought him to our GP each time and he would get better. I had been wanting to send him to Dr. Vas to find out why he gets sick so often and last Wednesday I did just that.


Upon hearing his chest, she shook her head, and said he needed to be hospitalised as he had an infection. I tried to keep as calm as I could as Kelly the nurse called Thomson to check on the room availablility. I was alone with Russell and I could feel the strain of rushing to the PD at 9 am only to find out that she wouldn't be coming in till 11.30 am. I went home, sent Renee to school and headed back to Parkway. By 12.30pm, I just felt like collapsing already. Exhausted from running back and forth.


MIL followed me to Thomson at 2 pm while FIL went to pick Renee from school. At around 3 plus, Russell had his chest X-Ray, blood drawn, drip inserted and some mucus drawn from him. The poor active boy was attached to a drip and the only place he could move about was this single bed, where we'd be sharing for the next 3 nights.


Dr. Vas came every morning and every evening. His condition improved, then he had a little relapse and his medication was upped and he improved again. He is soooo talkative, soooo active, I pitied my neighbours. The nurses loved him and came in every few hours to take his temperature and give him his nebuliser session. They would make fun of him saying they could hear his "complaints" all along the corridor!


I opted for a 2 bedder room, which on hindsight, I shouldn't have. The first two days I had ok room mates. On the last night, I had the room mates from hell. This couple came in with their maid and their 2 month old daughter. They left their night light on the whole night, left the main door open the whole night and the baby kept crying off and on. I am such a light sleeper that I stayed awake the whole night. By 6 am, I just covered my face with my blanket and started to cry, I wanted to get out of the hospital so badly. At 12.30pm, Russell finally went down for his nap, I was so happy cos I could finally sleep too. But no, my neighbour from hell had visitors who chatted for 3 hours! OMG! When Russell finally woke up at 3.30pm, the female-neighbour-from-hell wanted her nap. Sure, now she wants to nap but my boisterous son wouldn't let her! wahahah! I was silently dancing in my head. At 4.30 pm, Eugene came to "relieve" me so I could get grab a shower. At one point, I heard female-neighbour-from-hell moan, "Oh God" from my son's noisy outburst. I was doing the chicken dance I tell you!


Eugene and I decided to let Russell walk outside the corridor with his drip. Mr. Russell was dancing and yelling with glee! Being couped up in a room, on a bed for three days will do that to you! I let female-neighbour-from-hell rest, see I'm such a nice person!

I wasn't wearing my glasses and outside I let my frustration rip at Eugene. I said that if Russell had to stay another night, he'd be the one to stay and make sure he snores as loudly as possible! At that point, I realised that male-neighbour-from-hell was standing 5 feet away from us and heard everything. Oopsie! Oh well.

Thankfully Dr. Vas said we could go home that evening, we had to continue the 4 hourly nebulising through the night, which I so willinging agreed to, and give him his medication.

$5000 later, we have been to Dr. Vas on Monday, Tuesday and tomorrow there is another follow up, he still sounds phlegmy and has to switch to soy milk, avoid fruits and cheese.

Waking up at 12 am and 4 am is just torturous, but it is all for my darling baby. I hope he remembers all our sacrifices when he is older.

No comments: